A hectic and rugged weekend of conference playoffs has four King Philip Walpole Youth Hockey teams still chasing conference championships, four teams poised to begin playoffs this week and five teams eyeing consolation games.
KPW’s most thrilling game of the weekend was one of its last, when the Bantam B2 Red team pulled out a 2-1 overtime win over Tri-County Sunday in the South Shore Conference Bantam B2 Re playoffs, setting up a semifinal game Friday against WHK.
Three other teams kept alive their hopes of a conference championship:
- The Bantam B team rolled to its biggest victory of the season, a 9-2 win over Barnstable that put them in the semifinals against top-seeded Braintree Saturday in Canton.
- The Squirt B Re division regular-season champion Squirt B2 Red knocked off Milton, 4-1, and will meet Falmouth in the semifinals Saturday in Randolph.
- The Girls U12 team hung on for a 4-3 win over Belmont in their Middlesex Yankee Conference Girls Hockey League quarterfinal, setting up a semifinal matchup against the Mass Bay Warriors Sunday.
In other games:
- The Squirt C team posted a 5-1 win over Duxbury Sunday, capping a 3-0 run in the Yankee Conference squirt fifth bracket and setting up a game against Plymouth Green Saturday.
- The Pee Wee C team dropped a 3-0 loss to the Cyclones in the Yankee Conference pee wee first bracket pool, and will play in the consolation game Sunday.
- KPW’s Mite A, Mite B and Mite B2 teams all will play in consolation final games next weekend after falling in the semifinals Sunday.
Meanwhile, the state champion Girls U14 Red team, as well as the Girls U14 White, Girls U10 and Squirt B2 White teams, all open the postseason this week.
Good luck to all our teams!Continue reading »